Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Unspeakable Sadness

Yesterday, I thought about posting an entry about our school board and the guy they just hired and then fired after 4 days but paid 9,000+ for a month of work. I thought about posting an entry about how tired I am after planning lessons aligned with the Common Core Standards but still matching the district pacing guide while consulting the Art and Science of Teaching so I can become an innovating teacher...

Today,  none of that matters.
 
Children are supposed to be safe at school. Everyday I am responsible for 18 precious lives. I assure their parents that I will take care of them - that they will be safe and they will see them again at 3:20. I feel their heads when they complain of illness. I prescribe wet paper towels for itchy bug bites and invisible boo-boos. I hold garbage cans underneath their mouths when the stomach bug hits. I apply Band-Aids to cuts and scratches.. old or new.

Today, I am forced to think about - to make a plan- how to hide 18 precious children in their sanctuary- our classroom.
 I can't turn off the news. I can't look away. I can't stop thinking about the anguish for this community.

My prayers go out Sandy Hook Elementary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment