Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Education

It has been a very stressful week. My Mother is ill and waiting for answers from doctors that don't seem to know what to do. Thankfully, one terminal prognosis has been ruled out. I had to leave work in the middle of the day while my kindys were at lunch. I had not prepared them for a sub since I had no idea I'd be leaving. They were sweet and very concerned when I returned Thursday. Rumors had been circulating among the group and several students asked me if I'd been assassinated!! We are learning about Abraham Lincoln- It was good to have a laugh!
Thursday night I went to our Union meeting... I don't understand why education is not a priority. I just don't get it. I don't want to be political here.. but it looks bad for my state. My district is having town hall budget meetings asking the public for ideas on what to cut in education. What else can we possibly cut? As a parent with a child entering the public school soon I am worried. As a teacher I am worried. As a citizen of our country I am worried. I AM a super hero and my students ARE being educated- but as services get watered down and teachers are stretched- our students will suffer, especially those that need extra services.
To top off my week my daughter woke up vomiting so I ran to work at 5am to prepare for a sub. I have emergency sub plans but I wanted to continue what we had been working on (not use generic plans) since next week is a short week. Mr. Lewis picked up an intestinal parasite on his trip to Haiti so I was a little ( I mean A LOT) worried that she might have caught it. She is FINE- one co-pay and a fun stool sample later.. all is well. As my husband put it... she caught someone elses' bug!
So I don't have a lot to blog about tonight. Just my ramblings. Like I said we are studying Abraham Lincoln (I am sure you are too!) and I read this quote in one of the books we read this week-

“Upon the subject of education … I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in.” ~~ Abraham Lincoln

I thought it was a fitting way to tie up my thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I wanted to share the love with you. I am awarding you the "Stylish Blogger Award".

    Here are the rules for receiving this award:

    1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
    2. Share 7 things about yourself
    3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers
    4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

    Take care and I wish you and your family well.
    ~Michelle
    http://firstgradebest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twice the fun!

    I would like to recognize you with the "Stylish Blog Award." Thanks for having such an awesome blog and sharing your love of teaching!

    Jan Pearce

    http://icanyoucantoucanclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article content which is quite good to go through with this release. The topic was interesting, valuable content provide I was given which is easily readable & understood. Thanks Assignment Help Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of it to keep it smart. I cannot wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous website. Thank you for sharing. Also visit is ds-adegbenro ICT poly post utme form

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fantastic blog post. bsu post utme past question and answer, visit Best Rated Educational Update Portal in the World; Examination and Academic Guide, High Paying Jobs & Scholarship  Website.

    ReplyDelete