Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

C is for Columbus


We have been reading about Christopher Columbus. I admit, once I became an adult and learned the real history surrounding Columbus it ruined the story for me... Thanksgiving is a tough one too! But I think it is important to learn about Columbus. The kids were impressed that he was so brave and crossed the Sea without really knowing what he would find. It bewildered some that Columbus died not knowing that he had made a big mistake. We talked about making mistakes and the importance of trying new things even if they don't work out the way you hoped. We made explorer hats out of newspapers and read a few biographies about Columbus. We talked about life on a ship and what it was like to live over 500 year ago. I also shared that today is a holiday and banks are closed and some schools are closed in honor of Columbus.. they were bummed they had to go to school today.. I could have used another day home too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment